UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNDP Projects Management Office (PMO) in Nicosia, Cyprus, seeks to contract a Engineer of Contract to contribute to the supervision and management of civil works for Cultural Heritage projects located through out Cyprus, within the framework of the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage (TCCH) projects.
The Agreement of 21 March 2008 reached between Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots under the auspices of the United Nations (UN), paved the way for the establishment of the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage (TCCH), dedicated to the identification, promotion and protection of the rich and diverse cultural heritage of Cyprus. The TCCH is composed of an equal number of Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot experts. The TCCH works to provide a mutually acceptable mechanism for the implementation of practical measures for the proper preservation, physical protection and restoration (including research, study and survey) of the immovable cultural heritage of Cyprus. The TCCH is operating under the UN auspices and its work is an important tool for building confidence between the Turkish Cypriots and the Greek Cypriots. The TCCH is supported in its work by an Advisory Board (AB), which was established in 2009 and is composed of archaeologists, architects, art historians and town planners from both communities.
Within this framework Engineer of Contract services are required for the supervision of conservation/restoration works and management of civil works contract/s for the TCCH projects located in Cyprus. The Engineer of Contract will be partly based at the UNDP local office in Nicosia and partly at the site in Cyprus.The incumbent reports to the Project Manager and works in a close contact with the UNDP site teams. This position is funded by the main donor for the TCCH projects which is the European Union (EU).>
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provide administration of the Contract as described in the Contract Documents
- Act as the Employer’s Representative vis-à-vis the Contractor. The Engineer shall advise and consult with the Employer
- The Engineer is responsible to forward the Employer’s instructions to the Contractor in writing
- Study each project at the onset and draft an outline of items that may need attention.
- Supervise the works on site in accordance with the contract documents and using the template and procedure established by the office
- Ensure the correct implementation of the works according to technical specifications, to designs and quality of materials and bills of quantities
- Review and advice to the supervisor for the materials documentation, method statements, health and safety documentation, etc. submitted by contractors.
- Study the workplan submitted by the contractor and suggest any modifications to the supervisor
- Be responsible to closely monitor progress of works according to the workplan, evaluate status, resolve issues and/or pre-empt problems
- Informing the supervisor/s of any problem which may arise on project implementation in a timely manner
- Prepare list of materials for the procedures for acceptance as per contract technical documents
- Prepare list of method statements and shop drawings for the procedures of acceptance as per contract technical documents
- The Engineer shall review and approve or take other appropriate action upon the Contractor’s submittals such as Shop Drawings, Product Data and Samples, but only for conformity with the design concept of the Works and with the provisions of the Contract Documents. These should be done in writing
- All interpretations and orders of the Engineer shall be consistent with the intent of and reasonably inferable from the Contract Documents and shall be in writing or in the form of drawings
- Prepare list of tests that may be required and following these tests to be carried out and approved
- Check and test the completed works before they are covered by the contractor, taking photos
- Check and ensure that the site is arranged as per the site management plan and that all measures are taken for site safety and the safety of the third parties in the vicinity of the site
- To retrieve by the design team or furnish any modifications of drawings and specifications.
- Inform the Employer in a timely manner for alterations, additions and omissions and prepare all related documentation required, as per the contract terms and conditions and obtain Employer’s approvals where needed
- Prepare the weekly and monthly progress report or any other relevant progress report to the supervisor/s; like daily supervision report, weekly site meeting reports and the other relevant progress reports., etc.
- Supervise the design and site technical team assigned for the works of the projects, ensure the timely readjustment of the activities where needed and review the deliverables
- Review the deliverables submitted by the design and site technical team assigned for the works
- Meet with the project beneficiaries, technical advisers and stakeholders if needed
- Ensure appropriate filing of projects and supporting documentation as per UNDP requirement and maintain library of project information weekly basis in digital platforms for future analysis and dissemination
- Provide administrative and technical advice on projects
- Review the deliverables submitted by the health & safety expert. Ensure that health & safety measures are adopted and followed to the full extent and with no deviation and if needed instruct additional safety measures and prepare weekly and monthly report. Suggest and instruct additional safety measures if needed
- Ensure that the site is kept clean and tidy that all measures are taken for site safety
- Take daily pictures and collate them in digital formats for the records
- Maintain an electronic library of photos of the chronological progress of the works
- Check, record and verify quantities of works done on site and collate a photo note of every works items completed (before, during and after)
- Take daily pictures and collating these in digital formats for the contract records and duly maintain an electronic library of photos of the progress of the works.
- Study and verify quantities of works done and provide a report to the office – review each payment certificate of the contractor and verify quantities
- Review and check supporting documentation submitted with payment requests (interim and final)
- Monitor the workplans progress in weekly basis and inform the supervisor/s for any deviation in a timely manner
- Maintain a filing system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and materials on site, reports and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities
- Attend weekly, monthly site meetings and biweekly office meetings and take minutes of meetings
- Co-ordination of site meetings with the Contractor
- Ensure that the daily records are kept on the site workbook; sign on the site workbook
- Inform the supervisor/s of any problem which may arise with the Contractor and on site
- Assist in the preparation of inspection for the substantial completion and snag list
- Follow up that the remedies are carried out properly and with quality
- All exchanges with the contractor and other members of the technical team should be reflected in writing. Engineer’s correspondence with the contractor and vice versa and any other related correspondence should be kept in file by the Engineer.
- Ad-hoc reports on the findings of specific works or any other request
- The Engineer may be assigned to more than one project site concurrently and each project under his/her assignment will be reported separately
- Preparation of the completion event and technical site visit.
- Preparation of presentation materials of specific works
- Carry out any other tasks related to the works and the project given by the supervisor
The Engineer of Contract will be partly based at the UNDP local office in Nicosia and partly at the site located in Cyprus. He/She will be reporting, under the supervision of the UNDP Project Manager.
- Anti-Corruption: Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and/or Structural/Civil Engineering
- 3 year of relevant experience in site supervision and/or civil works contract management
Valid driver’s license is a requirement.
Nationals or others legally authorized to work in Cyprus are eligible to apply (country of citizenship or place of permanent residence)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.