UNDP in Cyprus works to support the ongoing peace and confidence building process by promoting initiatives that encourage dialogue and cooperation between the communities of Cyprus. UNDP works in support of different bi-communal Technical Committees in the implementation of their confidence building measures. Our main partners are: The Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage (TCCH), the Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus (CMP) and the Technical Committee on Crossings (TCC). Through cultural heritage conservation projects, community engagement initiatives and large infrastructure and urban upgrading projects we aim to support both political peace-making and practical confidence building processes. More recently UNDP will establish a new mechanism, namely the “Local Infrastructure Facility” (LIF) to coordinate and support the implementation of EU funded infrastructure projects in the northern part of Cyprus.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Operations and Programme Associate provides operations and programme support services ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery.
The Operations and Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme staff in the office and UNDP HQ as required to exchange information and support programme delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
Provides support to contracting services focusing on achievement of the following results:
Maintenance of the contract lists at intranet system.
Provides travel management processes for office focusing on achievement of the following results:
Provides effective support to operations and programme units focusing on the achievement of the following results:
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done
Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
– Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
– Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
– Responds to client needs promptly
Knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
– Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
– Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
– Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
– Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports
– Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
– Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
– Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
– Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
– Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
– Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
– Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
– Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
– Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
– Good knowledge of relevant rules and regulations
– In-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
– Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Administration, Business Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field is required.
Secondary education with 6 years of progressively responsible administrative/operational and programme experience is required at the national and/or international level.
Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of progressively responsible administrative/operational and programme experience is required at the national and/or international level.
Proficiency in IT software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is required.
Strong understanding/familiarity with UNDP administrative, programme and operational procedures is an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
Fluency in Greek or Turkish is required.